Design by George Carwardine, 1935.
The 1227 was originally designed in 1935 while George Carwardine was working in the automotive industry. Carwardine was tinkering in his shop and developed a spring which could be moved easily in every direction yet also remain rigid when held in position. This new spring was the basis for the 1227. The shade was developed to concentrate the beam of light on the task at hand and therefore could use a lesser wattage lamp. Soon it was realized that the 1227 would work just as well for a reading lamp as it did for factory task lighting.
Reissued to celebrate its 75th Anniversary, the Original 1227 Task Light is made with aluminum arms and a heavily weighted base for extra stability.
Bulbs: 1 X 60W Medium Base Incandescent lamp, ships with a 12W energy-saving CFL spiral lamp.
Designer: George Carwardine
George Carwardine was an automotive engineer who specialized in vehicle suspension objects. While working in the automotive industry, George had become fascinated with the concept of spring based mechanisms allowing weighted objects to be moved freely into any position where they remain balanced. In 1932 he filed a patent that is clearly identifiable as the first Anglepoise lamp using 4 springs. George went into small scale production and used springs supplied by Hebert Terry and Sons Ltd., an English manufacturer.
George then realized he needed larger production. His patent became effective in January 1934 and within a month he had signed an agreement giving Herbert Terry and Sons Ltd. exclusive rights; they started to manufacture the lamp in return for a royalty. The new product was launched at the British Industries Fair in Birmingham in February 1934.
Management at Terry's decided the existing Anglepoise 4 spring design was too industrial and they had their eyes on the domestic market. George went back to the drawing board, working with the designers at Terry's until they came up with the 3 spring version, known as the 1227. George applied for a patent in 1934, and manufacture commenced in 1935. The sales of this new design quickly overtook the 4 spring original.View other products by George Carwardine
For over 70 years, Anglepoise has created table lamps and table lights that are now British design classics. What started as a simple idea of using springs, cranks and levers to balance weight, created one of the most esteemed lamp collections. George Carwardine's blueprint of Anglepoise was patented in 1934 and production began with the help of Herbert Terry and Sons Ltd., the manufacturer that purchased the rights to Anglepoise. Since that time, Anglepoise has redefined all a table lamp has been and can be, moving from the four spring to the three spring. Anglepoise table lamps remain true to George Carwardine original design whilst incorporating modern features, such as energy saving bulbs. Anglepoise energy saving lamps are designed to replicate the intensity of light that is demanded by professionals, such as graphic artists and interior designers.View other products from Anglepoise