Design by Michele De Lucchi and Hubb Ubbens, 2005.
The Castore Calice Suspension Light provides direct and diffused incandescent or fluorescent lighting from a cable suspended luminaire. The bell-shaped diffuser in white handblown venetian glass with an external etched finish is open for the Castore Calice 18 and closed for the Castore Calice 42. A steel tubing diffuser support, covered by a tapered sleeve in white translucent molded polycarbonate, allows for partial soft diffusion of light. Stainless steel suspension cable connects to the steel ceiling plate with canopy in white molded thermoplastic. Mounts to standard electrical junction boxes.
Material(s): Glass, steel, plastic
Bulbs: Calice 18: 1 X 60W E12 (candelabra base) G16.5 incandescent lamp (not included) Castore Calice 42: 1 X 150W E26 (medium base) G40 incandescent lamp (not included) OR 1 X 26W GX24q-3 T4 compact fluorescent lamp (not included), electronic ballast
1169018A CAS1051 CAS1053
Designer: Michele De Lucchi
Born in 1951 in Ferrara, Italy, Michele De Lucchi studied in Padua and Florence, graduating with his architectural degree in 1975. A prominent symbol in experimental architecture, Michele De Lucchi was well known in the Cavart, Alchymia and Memphis movements. Not only has he designed lighting fixtures and furniture for the most prominent producers in Europe, he has developed many theories of the evolution of the workplace, and accomplished "experimental products" for Compaq Computers, Philips, Siemens and Vitra.
In 1973 Michele De Lucchi partnered with other designers and architects to create Cavert, which was considered a radical design group during that time. Kartell discovered his artistry in 1978 and hired him in Milan to design for Centrokappa. He later met up with Ettore Sottsass and joined the Studio Alchimia designers. Between his many creations he became a design consultant for Olivetti in 1979. In 1990 Michele De Lucchi founded a small lighting company, Produzione Privata, to produce lighting that could disregard the requirements of mass production and be made by craftsmen using traditional techniques.View other products by Michele De Lucchi
The Artemide Group was founded by Ernesto Gismondi and Sergio Mazza in 1959. Artemide offers not only lamps for moments of relaxation at home, but also large sophisticated installations for illuminating public and private professional activities. Technological and productive expertise is achieved through research and developement centers, with product planning and engineering, laboratories for technical conformity and self-certification tests, and production units equipped with state-of- the-art processes. A production structure that can offer expertise in the processing of traditional materials such as glass, as well as the capacity of innovation with novel materials, such as titanium. The vast range of options reflects the commitment of the whole organization to provide a product guaranteed by the Artemide brand, throughout the world, with an image that is strong and consistent: that of a leader in the lighting field.
Renowned lighting series issued by Artemide include the versatile Tizio and Tolomeo, Logico, Melampo, Castore, and color-changing Metamorfosi. Other design classics that Artemide still produces include the unique Boalum, Nesso and Fatto. Over the years, many designers have created beautiful works of lighting art for Artemide, including Michele De Lucchi, Livio Castiglioni, Gianfranco Frattini, Vico Magistretti, Richard Sapper and Giancarlo Fassina. More recently, Ron Rezek's line of practical and affordable designs, including many wall sconces, bath lights and mirrors was acquired by Artemide.View other products from Artemide