George Carwardine was an automotive engineer who specialized in vehicle suspension objects. While working in the automotive industry, George had become fascinated with the concept of spring based mechanisms allowing weighted objects to be moved freely into any position where they remain balanced. In 1932 he filed a patent that is clearly identifiable as the first Anglepoise lamp using 4 springs. George went into small scale production and used springs supplied by Hebert Terry and Sons Ltd., an English manufacturer.
George then realized he needed larger production. His patent became effective in January 1934 and within a month he had signed an agreement giving Herbert Terry and Sons Ltd. exclusive rights; they started to manufacture the lamp in return for a royalty. The new product was launched at the British Industries Fair in Birmingham in February 1934.
Management at Terrys decided the existing Anglepoise 4 spring design was too industrial and they had their eyes on the domestic market. George went back to the drawing board, working with the designers at Terrys until they came up with the 3 spring version, known as the 1227. George applied for a patent in 1934, and manufacture commenced in 1935. The sales of this new design quickly overtook the 4 spring original.