The career of California ceramics designer La Gardo Tackett (1911-1992) had a chance beginning due to an unlikely friendship between an LA graphics designer, Lou Danziger, and a New Jersey meat packer, Max Lawrence, who shared a love of modernism. In 1949 while Tackett was teaching at the California School of Art in Pasadena, Danziger told Lawrence about Tackett and his students making planters and sculptures that looked like "white doughnuts, halved avocados and stacked pyramids". Lawrences wife decided to view their work and within months the couple began mass-producing the ceramics and Architectural Pottery was born. When the catalog was released in 1950, architects began ordering the pieces and MoMA selected most of the items for its 1951 Good Design exhibition. La Gardo Tackett became famous for his hourglass-shaped designs.