Generation by Knoll™Price: $624.00
Click on a swatch to view other color options.
Design by Formway Design, 2009.
Because the work spaces of today require almost constant movement and varying tasks, Knoll has teamed up to design a work chair that fits the individual, for the ultimate in mobility and comfort. Generation by Knoll offers a new standard of comfort and unrestrained movement, supporting the range of postures and work styles typical of today's workplace. Designed by Formway Design, Generation takes the idea of elastic design — where a product rearranges itself in response to its user — to a new level.
Current ergonomic research challenges the idea of a single, forward-facing posture, recognizing that maintaining one seated position for an extended time is not compatible with the body's natural tendency toward movement. Created from a high performance elastomer, the innovative Generation by Knoll Flex Back facilitates changes in posture and position throughout the workday. The Flex Top extends the range of movement, allowing you to sit comfortably in any position (even sideways). The curvature of the chair's figure 8 structure combined with the specific tension, pattern and unique properties of Flex Net enables side-to-side flex and ensures optimal localized support for shoulders and lumbar region. Responding to your range of movement, the Flex Top folds over the top edge of the back providing a comfortable armrest for side sitting or other informal postures. Generation™ features a recycled content of 40% (plastic base version) and 46% (aluminum base version). This ingenious chair is constructed using minimal materials and manufactured using clean technologies.
- Customize with an Armless frame or with Height-Adjustable or High Performance arms, then select base finish, lumbar option, Frame finish, Flex Back net color, Thin or Ultra Seat Foam and Seat Color
- Frameless Flex Back fuses two elements: high performance elastomeric Flex Back Net cradles your back, providing integral lumbar support, and figure 8 structure enables multidimensional movement
- Flex Seat offers 270 degrees of unobstructed seat edge flex with a buoyant two-piece cushion and nest structure
- Continuous Lumbar carries the lumbar support from the back into the arms to support side sitting
- Dynamic Suspension™ offers weight-compensated, synchronized recline for a smooth, effortless ride
- Flex Top folds over as armrest for side sitting
- Tilt Preference Selector offers three ranges of recline movement
- Tested and is approved for use by individuals weighing up to 300 pounds
- Warranted for 12 years, 24-hour, 7 days a week, multi shift use
- Rated SMaRT© Sustainable Platinum
- BIFMA level® 3 certified
- GREENGUARD and GREENGUARD Gold Certified
- Can contribute to achieving 4 LEED® credits
- Plastic base version made with 38% recylced content and 39% readily recyclable parts
- Aluminum base version made with 44% recylced content and 54% readily recyclable parts
- Flex Back Net made of renewably sourced material; chair is more than 2% rapidly renewable material by weight
- Constructed using minimal materials
- Ships boxed in two easy-to-assemble pieces
Material(s): Aluminum, steel, plastic
- Overall, Armless: 21"W X 15-17.5"D
- Overall, With Arms: 21"W X 15-18"D
- Seat Height/Low Cylinder: 15.5-19.5"H *
- Seat Height/Standard Cylinder: 16.5-21.75"H *
- Seat Height/High Cylinder: 17.75-23.25"H *
- * Height measurements shown for Thin seat foam. Ultra Seat foam will add 0.75" to seat height.
Download Specifications: 1
11-1-HP-2-S-X-HC 11-1-HA-2-S-X-HC 11-1-NA-2-S-X-HC
If you sit at a desk a lot, your back will thank you!
By: Gerald P., Homeowner (Miami)
I've had a lot of ergonomic chairs, including the Aeron, Mirra, and even a custom built zero gravity Swiss-made chair. They all have pros and cons. But so far the Knoll Generation is the best of the group. Very firm seat support, although you can get that on lots of chairs. The plus with this chair is the flexible back which does allow you to stay in the chair and still use it in a dozen different ways during the day. High performance arms are worth the upgrade price - I have never had a chair that lets me so finely tune the angle I want when typing. The lumbar support is very rudimentary but I would would go for it because it gives just a little extra needed support for the back on those long days. Finally, the Generation adjusts higher than the other chairs I've had, so if your desk is tall, it's no problem to sit as high as you wish. Design is sleek and great - a bit smaller than the Mirra and Aeron it replaced I wish there was a little less plastic (only thinking about long term durability) but it seems to be the way most of these chairs are made nowadays. All in all, a top rating (ck back with me in a year :-)
This is the best purchase I ever made!
By: Gail M.
I sit at a computer most of the day at work. This chair is by far the best I have ever experienced. It moves when and where you do and makes it possible to concentrate on the work at hand. It gives me great back support and is ergonomic in every way. I had this chair when working for a former employer and just had to have it again. You can probably take me to the grave with this chair as this is the only chair I will ever own.
Every Desk Needs A Knoll Task Chair
By: Helcia, Homeowner (West Chester, PA)
I wanted a task chair for my home office that would provide comfort, support, and style. When I saw the Generation chair by Knoll, I hoped it would be comfortable and supportive because I liked the modern style and the range of available colors. I hesitated when I saw the price, but I decided to bite the bullet and go for it. How often does one buy a task chair? I'm counting on keeping this one for 20 years! The chair has proven to be very comfortable. I chose green mesh and extra padded seat, arms, lumbar support, and hardwood floor wheels. I probably could have eliminated the support because it is very supportive without it. The office has hardwood floors, and I find chair rolls easily on the floor.
beautiful and comfortable desk chair
By: allbeensaidb4 (florida)
great service. everything went perfectly. chair is very customizable.
Very chic, very comfortable
By: Joyce B., Designer (New York )
I purchased this chair in lemongrass and I looove the color! The design is amazing--and so comfortable--contours to you body. Love the flexibly of the back--not your average office chair.
Designer: Formway Design
New Zealand-based Formway Design has been designing furniture for more than five decades, beginning in 1956. In 1979, the company went through a transformation, developing a new identity and philosophy focusing on team-based design and research. Formway takes key insights regarding human behavior and translates them into products. Their user-centered culture marries a rigorous design process, a sensitivity to aesthetics, and a passion for the environment.
Formway's strategy for innovation was evident in the design of the highly successful Life® chair, introduced in 2002, which is celebrated for its sophisticated design, intuitive adjustments, responsive ergonomics and sustainable attributes. Building on these features, Generation by Knoll is Formway's latest design breakthrough, using new materials and elastic design to support the physical and cognitive activities of the modern office worker.View other products by Formway Design
Knoll. A Commitment to Modern Design, since 1938.
Knoll believes good design is good business. A commitment to modern design has yielded a comprehensive portfolio of furniture products and textiles designed to provide enduring value and help clients shape their workspaces with imagination and vision. Recognized as a design leader worldwide, Knoll products are exhibited in major art museums, with more than 40 pieces in the permanent collection of The Museum of Modern Art in New York.
Knoll is a leader in sustainability policies and practices. A recent initiative with the Chicago Climate Exchange, as part of Knoll's 2006 commitment to the Clinton Global Initiative, addresses the concern for global climate change and targets programs to enhance energy efficiency throughout Knoll facilities. Knoll is headquartered in East Greenville, Pennsylvania with manufacturing sites in North America and Italy.View other products from Knoll