Generation by Knoll™Price: $624.00
Click on a swatch to view other color options.
Design by Formway Design, 2009.
Because the work spaces of today require almost constant movement and varying tasks, Knoll has teamed up to design a work chair that fits the individual, for the ultimate in mobility and comfort. Generation by Knoll offers a new standard of comfort and unrestrained movement, supporting the range of postures and work styles typical of today's workplace. Designed by Formway Design, Generation takes the idea of elastic design — where a product rearranges itself in response to its user — to a new level.
Current ergonomic research challenges the idea of a single, forward-facing posture, recognizing that maintaining one seated position for an extended time is not compatible with the body's natural tendency toward movement. Created from a high performance elastomer, the innovative Generation by Knoll Flex Back facilitates changes in posture and position throughout the workday. The Flex Top extends the range of movement, allowing you to sit comfortably in any position (even sideways). The curvature of the chair's figure 8 structure combined with the specific tension, pattern and unique properties of Flex Net enables side-to-side flex and ensures optimal localized support for shoulders and lumbar region. Responding to your range of movement, the Flex Top folds over the top edge of the back providing a comfortable armrest for side sitting or other informal postures. Generation™ features a recycled content of 40% (plastic base version) and 46% (aluminum base version). This ingenious chair is constructed using minimal materials and manufactured using clean technologies.
- Customize with an Armless frame or with Height-Adjustable or High Performance arms, then select base finish, lumbar option, Frame finish, Flex Back net color, Thin or Ultra Seat Foam and Seat Color
- Frameless Flex Back fuses two elements: high performance elastomeric Flex Back Net cradles your back, providing integral lumbar support, and figure 8 structure enables multidimensional movement
- Flex Seat offers 270 degrees of unobstructed seat edge flex with a buoyant two-piece cushion and nest structure
- Continuous Lumbar carries the lumbar support from the back into the arms to support side sitting
- Dynamic Suspension™ offers weight-compensated, synchronized recline for a smooth, effortless ride
- Flex Top folds over as armrest for side sitting
- Tilt Preference Selector offers three ranges of recline movement
- Tested and is approved for use by individuals weighing up to 300 pounds
- Warranted for 12 years, 24-hour, 7 days a week, multi shift use
- Rated SMaRT© Sustainable Platinum
- BIFMA level® 3 certified
- GREENGUARD and GREENGUARD Gold Certified
- Can contribute to achieving 4 LEED® credits
- Plastic base version made with 38% recylced content and 39% readily recyclable parts
- Aluminum base version made with 44% recylced content and 54% readily recyclable parts
- Flex Back Net made of renewably sourced material; chair is more than 2% rapidly renewable material by weight
- Constructed using minimal materials
- Ships boxed in two easy-to-assemble pieces
Material(s): Aluminum, steel, plastic
- Overall, Armless: 21"W X 15-17.5"D
- Overall, With Arms: 21"W X 15-18"D
- Seat Height/Low Cylinder: 15.5-19.5"H *
- Seat Height/Standard Cylinder: 16.5-21.75"H *
- Seat Height/High Cylinder: 17.75-23.25"H *
- * Height measurements shown for Thin seat foam. Ultra Seat foam will add 0.75" to seat height.
Download Specifications: 1
11-1-HP-2-S-X-HC 11-1-HA-2-S-X-HC 11-1-NA-2-S-X-HC
Designer: Formway Design
New Zealand-based Formway Design has been designing furniture for more than five decades, beginning in 1956. In 1979, the company went through a transformation, developing a new identity and philosophy focusing on team-based design and research. Formway takes key insights regarding human behavior and translates them into products. Their user-centered culture marries a rigorous design process, a sensitivity to aesthetics, and a passion for the environment.
Formway's strategy for innovation was evident in the design of the highly successful Life® chair, introduced in 2002, which is celebrated for its sophisticated design, intuitive adjustments, responsive ergonomics and sustainable attributes. Building on these features, Generation by Knoll is Formway's latest design breakthrough, using new materials and elastic design to support the physical and cognitive activities of the modern office worker.View other products by Formway Design
Brand Beginnings Knoll was founded in 1938 by Hans and Florence Knoll who sought to create new types of furniture and environments for the home and workplace. Their approach was to join craftsmanship with technology through the use of design and to create beautiful home furnishings that stood the test of time visually, functionally and practically. The pair sought out designers willing to change the landscape of modern design, daring to ask how furniture could work better. These landmark collaborations, with pioneering modernists like Eero Saarinen, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Harry Bertoia and Richard Schultz built a brand that today contains many of the hallmarks of modern design.
Knoll Today Knoll enjoys brand recognition throughout the world for its modern classics as well as groundbreaking new products formulated under new deigner partnerships. Few companies can match the array of Knoll products, which combine a modernist aesthetic with residential appeal. This point of view nurtured by Florence Knoll, has become the trademark of Knoll design. Today, it connects to a new generation seeking workplaces and homes that are comfortable for and beautiful for everyday living.
A Signature Piece The highly coveted Barcelona® Chair is, with little doubt, the signature Knoll piece. Designed in 1929 by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, it is one of the most recognized objects of the last century, and an icon of the modern movement. Skilled craftsman construct this exquisite chair by hand every day. From leather produced from a single cowhide, 40 individual leather panels are cut, hand-welted, and hand-tufted with leather buttons to upholster the chair. Premium cushions are highly resilient with a down-like softness that surrounds the sitter in luxurious comfort. Cushions are suspended by upholstery straps in cowhide belting leather over a metal frame that is hand-ground and hand-buffed to a mirror finish. Meticulously detailed, Barcelona continues to appeal to customers worldwide some 85 years after its introduction.
Why Knoll? The Knoll names offers a rich design history – a legacy of iconic designers and inventive new collaborations. Their focus on quality and responsible manufacturing means that each piece transcends multiple generations in both use and appeal. Knoll offers furniture, accessories, textiles, felts and leathers that stimulate the senses and allow you to express who you are and what you value. They take great pride in creating the best possible product and the happiest possible customer.