Architectural Pottery X/OO Bookends, Set
This product is no longer available.
VesseL USA Inc. was founded in 1998 to revive stunningly simple planters and other ceramic designs that brought acclaim to the Architectural Pottery Collection, a Los Angeles company founded in 1950 by Max and Rita Lawrence. Prominent mid-century LA architects such as Richard Neutura and Pierre Koenig favored the pottery line for spare, geometrically ordered residential gardens and commercial buildings. Pieces from the Architectural Pottery Collection were exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art in New York as early as 1951.
VesseL USA is the sole licensor of the award-winning Architectural Pottery Collection, including hand-crafted planters, containers and garden sculpture. Original designs are commissioned and produced by VesseL USA from designer specifications.
Malcolm Leland began his artistic career as a potter and ceramicist. He studied at the Jepson Art Institute and won the Good Design Award from the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in 1955 for his innovative ceramic bird shelter.
In the mid-1950s he became interested in working on a larger scale and he sold off his pottery to devote a year to researching architectural ceramics. He designed art elements for several prominent Los Angeles landmarks such as the Los Angeles County Hall of Records Building, the American Cement Company Building on Wilshire Boulevard and the Pomona College Clock Tower.