Architectural Pottery IN3 Planter/Container
VesseL USA Inc. was founded in 1998 to revive stunningly simple planters and other ceramic designs that brought acclaim to the Architectural Pottery Collection, a Los Angeles company founded in 1950 by Max and Rita Lawrence. Prominent mid-century LA architects such as Richard Neutura and Pierre Koenig favored the pottery line for spare, geometrically ordered residential gardens and commercial buildings. Pieces from the Architectural Pottery Collection were exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art in New York as early as 1951.
VesseL USA is the sole licensor of the award-winning Architectural Pottery Collection, including hand-crafted planters, containers and garden sculpture. Original designs are commissioned and produced by VesseL USA from designer specifications.
The career of California ceramics designer La Gardo Tackett (1911-1992) had a chance beginning due to an unlikely friendship between an LA graphics designer, Lou Danziger, and a New Jersey meat packer, Max Lawrence, who shared a love of modernism. In 1949 while Tackett was teaching at the California School of Art in Pasadena, Danziger told Lawrence about Tackett and his students making planters and sculptures that looked like "white doughnuts, halved avocados and stacked pyramids". Lawrence's wife decided to view their work and within months the couple began mass-producing the ceramics and Architectural Pottery was born. When the catalog was released in 1950, architects began ordering the pieces and MoMA selected most of the items for its 1951 Good Design exhibition. La Gardo Tackett became famous for his hourglass-shaped designs.View other products by La Gardo Tackett